About North Bay Village Optimist Club
Founded in 1982, the North Bay Village Optimist Club is a non-for-profit organization and is part of the worldwide Optimist International. This local club has enjoyed a 30-year continuous history of dedicated fundraising. With the Optimist credo “Friend of Youth”, this club has raised thousands of dollars and funded multiple Optimist Youth Programs, including College Scholarships, Soccer Clubs, Oratorical Contests, Book Collections & more! The North Bay Village Optimist Club’s own motto is “Bringing out the Best in Kids.”
History of North Bay Village Optimist Club
Below is how the North Bay Village Optimists Club have distributed our funds and how our Youth Community has benefited:
- Over $129,000 for College Scholarships awarded to local high school seniors.
- Over 4000 school children of all ages involved with our countywide Oratory Contest for over 20 years.
- Over 1000 high school students involved with the Optimist International Essay Contest.
- Over 1500 students involved in the Optimist International Oratory Contest, with our local winner achieving first place in South Florida District in 2011 and 2012.
- Over 3000 elementary school students involved in “Just Say No To Drugs” programs.
- Over 3000 elementary school students involved in “Youth In Government” programs.
- Over 500 young people involved in our after school neighborhood Soccer programs.
- Over 250 students from impoverished neighborhoods involved in youth baseball.
- Over 300 kids involved in youth basketball programs.
- Over 1500 kids involved in bike safety programs.
- Over 2000 families involved in Thanksgiving Day Dinner program.
- Over 500 young people involved in reading improvement programs.
- Over 1500 Kids involved in “Miss School, Miss Out” programs.
- Recognition of Best Student of the Year for over 20 years at Treasure Island Elementary School.
- Recognition of Turnaround Student of the Year for over 20 years at Treasure Island Elementary School- an A school
- Taking several young middle school students to Lions Camp during the summer- the lucky chosen students were recommended by school counselors.
- Many Xmas toy and musical programs with Jackson Memorial Hospital, several foster homes and the Haven Center for Adults for over 25 years. This was for 2 different programs- Xmas in July and Xmas in December.
- Passover meals delivered to needy families in conjunction with Jewish organizations.
- Sponsored a Talent Show for all ages in North Bay Village.
- Over 2500 young people involved in “Youth Appreciation” programs.
- Sponsored an Environmental Week with Treasure Island Elementary School.